donderdag 12 januari 2017

Crooked Kingdom highly recommended by Irina

"Recommend it highly if you like: the “Legend” series by Marie Lu, magic, plot twists" 

“Crooked Kingdom” by Leigh Bardugo – a “Six of Crows” sequel and final

Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult

Hello to all of you lovely bookworms and a very happy new year!! I wish you all health, love and long undisturbed hours of reading quality books!!

I hope all of you had great holidays. I spent Christmas back home mainly by being sick (..ughhh), but that didn’t stop me from enjoying the masterpiece called “Crooked Kingdom” by Leigh Bardugo. Yes, masterpiece!! It has been a long while since I read a book with that many plot twists, all of which unpredictable and on point. Seriously, at moments I was sure my precious characters will be done for..

Let’s start with general info about the book – it is a part of the duology “Six of Crows”. From my experience the authors rarely stick to this format – it is either single book or it goes straight to trilogy, but that change was refreshing and the story couldn’t have developed better if it was any shorter (can’t say for longer, I am sure Leigh can pull it off and she may just have another plot twist up her sleeve). I read them both one after the other which allowed me to sink deep in the fantastic world of the Grisha. Grisha are the magical folk some of you may know from the previous series by the author – The Grisha trilogy, 1st book “Shadow and Bone”. They are divided in the three main groups – Materialki (or fabrikators), Etheralki (summoners) & Corporalki (order of the living and the dead). This information to me was by itself a promise of an epic magical story!!

The story follows multiple POVs (point of views) of the six main characters:

“A convict with a thirst for revenge.

A sharpshooter who can’t walk away from a wager.


A runaway with a privileged past.

A spy known as the Wraith.

A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums.

A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes.”


The 2nd book follows our characters in the crooked city Ketterdam (serious influence of Dutch words here, believe me when I say that). They have done the impossible and now have to face the consequences of their choice.

The story has a little bit of everything – I couldn’t help but identify myself in all six of the characters in different moments and feel their pain and happiness, confusion and hopelessness as if it is my own. The author is representing skillfully feelings and situations that would put even the most righteous person to question his believes and sympathize Kaz Brekker and his team.

And if the story hasn’t won you just yet – just open the front cover.. YESS, it has maps!! I love it when fantasy books have a map at the front showing your beloved world. I always find myself back at that page while reading the book, looking for the city, passage, mountain, etc. mentioned – what better way to make fantasy reality?

So if you want something thrilling, skillfully written and a book you just can’t put back until it is done – this is your story, and Crooked Kingdom is the guaranty for a perfect ending, worthy of it’s high score on Goodreads (at the moment 4.64!!! – well deserved, good job Leigh!!).

And to finish properly – a quote by my most favorite of the 6 crows – Kaz Brekker:

“Crows remember human faces. They remember the people who feed them, who are kind to them. And the people who wrong them too. They don’t forget. They tell each other who to look after and who to watch out for.”

Maybe there is a lesson to learn from a crow !

Irina:)

5 out of 5 crosses



Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten