donderdag 12 oktober 2017

"A Darker Shade of Magic" by V.E.Schwab - review by Irina

"Schwab is a mastermind with a vivid imagination that comes to life between the pages, unraveling layer after layer of unexpected events"

Genre: Fantasy, YA, Fiction

Recommend it highly if you like: Magic, World building, Different worlds, Dark plot, Adventurous people

“I’d rather die on an adventure than live standing still.”

Hello hello lovelies, 

I have missed you! I am the worst, I know. Life has been so crazy – finding a PhD position, moving to another city, finding a new home.. I hope I can be excused for my lack of reviews in the past, but now I am back on track and here to stay! And yes, I will continue reviewing for Boekhandel Dominicanen, because let’s be honest – there is no such bookstore like it anywhere.

I started with this quote on purpose, because it is frankly my life moto. It is from one of the books I have read recently which I want to present to you today. Applause for “A Darker Shade of Magic” by V.E. Schwab! This is a MUST to pick up in your life!

Let’s start with a bit of background. Some of you might have heard of Victoria Schwab (known also by the pseudonym V.E. Schwab). She became known to the YA community recently with the duology “Monsters of Verity”, but her previous work (which I am talking of) has been a debate for quite some time, namely if it fits in the YA category or not. Whichever you prefer, I might say. It is both befitting for YA readers, as well as Fantasy readers. Frankly, I think that everyone with a taste for adventures and magic is going to find it to his liking ^^. This book has been suggested to me by so many different people that I just had to pick it up, and for good reason it seems. It was absolutely EPIC!

The story develops in a fictional world (worlds) where London has different parallel versions, magic is roaming freely, both rich and aggressive, weak or strong, and kingdoms rule and fight for dominance. With no obvious way for communication between them, here comes the Traveler – Kell. The last of the Antari – magicians with the ability to travel between the different worlds. (yes, it does sound like a recipe for an epic fantasy read, I know!). Kell serves the royal family of one of the kingdoms – the rich Red London – delivering messages and running errands between worlds and..occasionally smuggling illegal items from his trips (I once stole a rock from Lisbon, does that count?). On one of his trips he meets the thief Delilah Bard and, well you can guess.. (no, it is not your typical love story). As stories go, every choice has a consequence and Kell learns this the hard way, fighting a magical force stronger than what he has ever seen and follows an epic quest for survival of himself, as well as all the magical worlds.

The story is written skillfully and is one of those books that make you read page after page in the small hours of the night; Schwab is a mastermind with a vivid imagination that comes to life between the pages, unraveling layer after layer of unexpected events (similar to the coat of Kell (can someone please please please get me one?? Please??)). To top it off, Antari (obviously) speak an ancient language, which in line with book maps is always the short way to my adventurous heart:

“As Athera. To Grow.
  As Pyrata. To Burn.
  As Illumae. To Light.
  As Orense. To Open.
  As Anase. To Dispel.
  As Hasari. To Heal.
  As Travars. To Travel.”

The book develops rapidly and goes in "one go" and I can promise you, you need to have the sequel ready because the story will leave you wondering what is yet to come. My traveler’s heart is diving deep in the next book!

5 out of 5 crosses coming your way! And to finish in my trademark way – here goes a quote:

“I’m not going to die,” she said. “Not till I’ve seen it.”
“Seen what?”
Her smile widened. “Everything.”






Until next time!

Love, Irina 😊



Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten