maandag 14 mei 2018

Are you ready to become player one?

"A very light and fun read for during the summer."


Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Hello my fellow booklions

Long time no see, but alas, here is a new review! Today we’ll be reviewing a book that’s very dear to me and it’s called ‘Ready Player One’ by Ernest Cline. I also saw the movie a few weeks ago so it will be a double review today!

Imagine the world in 2045. People nowadays spend their time in the Oasis, which is a virtual reality world. You can do and be anything in the Oasis and by using handy gadgets you can also feel what’s happening in the oasis (f.e. by using a bodysuit). People have been taking care of the world less and less and technology is growing and growing. Oasis is the biggest business in the world. However, the maker of the Oasis passes away and leaves clues to find the ultimate prize: full control of the Oasis. We follow the story of wade Watts (screenname: Parzival) who tries to find the clues with some of his cool and epic Oasis friends.

First of all, this book is a nerd’s utopia. It’s full of geeky references to the 80’s and funny sarcastic jokes. Everything is very well explained and described and I was very interested in the concept of the Oasis. They even go to school in the Oasis! I read this book a few years ago and I found it to be a very light and interesting read. No boring parts, just loads of action and fun in and outside of the Oasis.

Secondly, I also enjoyed the characters a lot. There wasn’t very much depth in the characters but that made them all very light and fun to read about. I think most books focus a lot on the thoughts of the characters, but I really liked the focus on the Oasis and all the adventures in the world. It also reminded me a little of the world Veronica Roth created in ‘Carve The Mark’.

I also thoroughly enjoyed the movie adaptation. Particularly all the old music and references to the 80’s on a screen really made me relive this story in a different but very cool and fun way. I loved seeing how the moviemakers created the Oasis and how the characters were pictured. It all felt very real and natural and the special effects looked good (especially in 3D)! I think this is by far my favourite movie of 2018 and would definitely recommend it too.

Even though the cover isn’t the most intriguing and the story isn’t that deep and rounded, I think this is a classic YA read for me because it ventures into something different than most YA books but still has a very YA feel to it. A very light and fun read for during the summer and I would give it 4 crosses. 


Until next time,
Ana

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten