donderdag 9 februari 2017

Irina about The Thousandth Floor

"It was just what I expected it to be.. and then a bit more"


“The Thousandth Floor” by Katharine McGee

Genre: Fiction, Young Adult, ChickLit

Recommend it highly if you like: “Gossip Girl”; Detailed books; Scandals, Drama, American High school Cliques

“A glittering vision of the future, where anything is possible—if you want it enough.”

Hello lovelies. Long time no see, I was really busy with work, but I have to admit – I indulged in this guilty pleasure whenever I found the time.

“The Thousandth Floor” by Katharine McGee was just what I expected it to be.. and then a bit more.

The story is set up in a futuristic Manhattan in 2118, where all our characters are living in a (*insert understatement here*) huge tower. To be exact – a thousandth-story high as you may have already guessed. It is focused on the lives of the rich and fabulous elite of the luxurious part of the Tower and follows the POVs of 5 characters. Which are if I may add fulfilling the stereotype American high school cliques. Leda - the overachiever, desperately comparing herself to her best friend. Watt - the IT nerd, falling for the wrong girl. Eris - the gorgeous easygoing girl who has life handed on a plate (or does she?). Rylin – the underdog, getting a front-stage pass in the glamorous world of the top floors. And of course Avery - the perfect girl (no, seriously, her parents “designed” her to be genetically perfect *glad my parents love me the way I am*) that everyone either wants to be or have.

And to address all the speculations - it really did remind me a bit of “Gossip Girl”, mainly Leda and Avery being Blair and Serena (But only in the first season of the show. And yes, I did watch the whole series #guiltypleasures).

What I loved the most about the book was the attention Katharine kept to details. Describing her fiction world, she uses the small things to frame the story and create a vivid picture of scenes, emotions and situations. Each moment I could visualize the story and imagine myself at the same situation.

At the end, the whole story revolves around love. Beautiful, ugly, resentful, guilty, life-changing, heartbreaking love:

“Sometimes love and chaos are the same thing.”

I really liked this book. With all the flaws and hateful comments I read about it, prior to reading. Because the book was real. And real life and especially love can make people do things they wouldn’t imagine. It can build you to be your better self or break you down.

If you are wondering what your next read should be, don’t hesitate to pick up “The Thousandth Floor”. Because I can guaranty you that the end would either make you love or hate this book, but it would leave a mark.

And at the end it is all about love; as F. Scott Fitzgerald once said “..in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.”

Read also the Dutch review of our blogger Rika. Let's see what she thinks about it! >>

Irina :)

4 out of 5 Stars







2 opmerkingen:

  1. future's buildings, taking long awkward elevator rides to the next level.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen