donderdag 20 april 2017

The Upside of Unrequited by Ana

"I really thoroughly enjoyed every part and character of this book and I think it’s the perfect light read you would enjoy during a vacation."



Hello fellow booklions

Another day, another review. Today I’m reviewing ‘The Upside of Unrequited’ by Becky Albertalli. Maybe you know her from the popular book 'Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda’? In 'The Upside of Unrequited' we follow Molly Peskin-Suso, a girl that has had a lot of crushes but never kissed or had any contact with boys in that way. Her sister is the complete opposite of Molly and really wants to help her. Fortunately her girlfriend’s best friend is a funny, handsome and overal perfect first boyfriend (and they call him Hipster Will). But there’s a tiny problem. Molly met a very funny and awkward nerd named Reid at her work. She doesn’t think she would fall for him, or maybe she will?

The first thing I really liked were all the characters. They are very modern because the book is set in our time, for example they use Instagram and Pinterest. Because of this, I could get into the characters very well. I also liked the way social media was intertwined into the story by Albertalli. All the characters were very fun and lovely to read about. They weren’t perfect and all had their own personality which caused a lot of fun interactions between them. I really enjoyed Molly (our main character), Cassie (her twin sister) and Reid (one of the boys) and thought they were thoroughly thought out. Their interactions were always full of humor and sarcasm which I love and it drew me in so much more. Their actions and activities were also things I would have done myself, which made it a lot more relatable. Overall, I enjoyed all the characters a lot, hihi!

The story was put together very nicely, there were no boring parts and everything that happened was fun or surprising. Everything flowed nicely together, nothing too rushed or too slow. Reading it felt very natural. Even though we see everything through Molly’s eyes, the emotions and reactions of the other characters were incorporated very well. I really thoroughly enjoyed every part and character of this book and I think it’s the perfect light read you would enjoy during a vacation.

Because Molly has no experience with boys, everything is very new and awkward for her. It was very cute to read about this and I could definitely relate to her a lot. The story was a very cute and awkward story about a girl finding out what love is and how to deal with it. She also struggles with accepting her body and how she looks and this really broke my heart because I’ve been going through the same thing for so long and I really think Albertalli was able to portray this in a very real and honest way.

I know I’m not giving you very much info in this review, but I’m hoping all of you dive into this book without knowing too much about it. The book surprised me and exceeded my expectations. I would put this book somewhere between Rainbow Rowell and Stephanie Perkins, which is the perfect mix for a good, adorable and romantic contemporary novel. I would definitely recommend reading this book and I give it 4 crosses!

Until next time!

Ana


2 opmerkingen:

  1. Excellent review! I'm really looking forward to this read!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Hello Lauren, thank you so much! I hope you enjoy reading the book as much as I did. Let us know what you think! 😊😁

      Verwijderen