woensdag 8 maart 2017

Ana loved Caraval

"Stephanie brought back the magnificent magic and dark mystery of circuses and carnivals in a beautiful enchanting way and I loved it."


Caraval door Stephanie Garber

Hello fellow booklions!

Today I bring you a review of a very anticipated book and that book is ‘Caraval' by Stephanie Garber! At first I wasn’t really sure if I wanted to read this book but I’m very very happy I did! So let’s get into the review!

What was the book about? Well, Scarlett and Donatella, two sisters, have lived on the island Trisda since they were born. In their world there is this show called Caraval led by the magical Legend where all people with a ticket join the show in which they can win a prize. Nobody really knows a lot about Caraval but they do know that it’s THE place where magic comes alive. Scarlett has been writing letters for years begging Legend to be able to attend but with no response, until one year she and her sister get invited. Somehow with the help of a handsome sailor they manage to get to Caraval but then Donatella dissapears and to win the show Scarlett must find Donatella. What happens? Read the book to find out!!!

So first of all, the short summary I just wrote down doesn’t even begin to describe the magic and mystery of Caraval. It reminded me of the circus and magic shows but also of Commedia Dell’arte because they wear very elaborate dresses and suits. I thoroughly enjoyed all the magic and the extraordinary characters and just the way Stephanie made the whole thing feel. Even though there was a lot of mystery going on and a lot of very bad stuff, I still wanted to be a part of it and experience it myself. Stephanie brought back the magnificent magic and dark mystery of circuses and carnivals in a beautiful enchanting way and I loved it.

I also really enjoyed our characters. I did find Scarlett a little whiny in the beginning but I think her character developed perfectly throughout the book. All the other characters were also very captivating and mysterious and until the end it is very unsure who we could trust and who we couldn’t. I think Stephanie also did a very good job portraying the emotions our characters felt which gave us a very good understanding of them.

I also need to mention the writing. The book was full of prose which made me fall in love with it even more. I really enjoy dreamy books with descriptions that maybe don’t make sense at all but maybe they do if you think about it. I’ll give an example:

“Something about him made her feel perilous shades of silky black.”

I really truly enjoyed descriptions like this one which made the book just a little more romantic and poemlike.

I loved this book and I was hooked from page 1. I suggest going into it knowing nothing because you’ll get to enjoy all the mystery and plot twists and turns. I couldn’t concentrate on my school work because I needed to know how this book would end and what would happen, so I first finished the book hehehe. I give the book 5 crosses and I’m so ready to dive into the sequel and in a maybe movie? We’ll see!

Until next time!

Ana


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten